Sunday, September 30, 2012

PowerPoint (UNGH)

I'm a little unsure how I feel about making my powerpoint.
In my Teaching with Technology class, I was assigned to make a PowerPoint presentation explicating a lesson plan. Since I am a Middle School Education major, I decided it would be appropriate to use a fifth grade level curriculum, that of which included Reading Comprehension. I used my powerpoint to express the difference between synonyms and antonyms, and how to correctly decipher suffixes and affixes for certain words. I enjoyed the whole creativity aspect of the project. I liked choosing backgrounds and picking pictures appropriate for each slide. I used photobucket to find these particular pictures and backgrounds; I have always considered the website to be a useful tool in finding pictures for any project because they have such a wide variety. As far as the actual material, I used a website called FLOCABULARY, which included a list of fifth grade vocabulary words, which I chose for my synonyms and antonyms to include in the powerpoint. Part of the criteria for the project was to use hyperlinks throughout the powerpoint. I thought I would make a quiz/game out of it and use hyperlinks to direct the students to different slides if they answered questions correctly. However, I ran into a major obstruction while doing this. Half of my hyperlinks wouldn't work. I stressed out a little over it. I figured it was just that my laptop was 'goofed' up and for some reason wouldn't allow me to open them. I found out, though, that I couldn't put the blame on my laptop because, after putting the powerpoint on a flashdrive and trying it on my roommate's laptop, the links also wouldn't open on her computer. I tried re-hyperlinking on her laptop, but I still had no luck. I also tried opening the hyperlinks in the library, and on the classroom computers, but the stubborn links refused to open. My professor ended up being able to get the first serious of question's, in this case my synonyms, hyperlinks to work, but I couldn't help but be super bummed out that my links refused to cooperate. The whole hyperlink fiasco kind of made me skeptical about powerpoint. Like I've said, I did enjoy the creation aspect of the project, but the hyperlink thing really pissed me off. I'm sure, with practice, I'll enjoy creating powerpoints more, but in the future I will try to stay away from too much hyperlinking.


JUST FOR LAUGHS

5 comments:

  1. I like your honesty! At least you got to experience making a powerpoint and enjoyed SOME of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. Honest about your experience with PowerPoint. I always call PowerPoint the necessary evil of teaching. Everyone will use it for a lesson at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem with hyperlinking and it really made me dislike this project. I loved the video at the end, so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also like your honesty with the hyperlinking, i had the same problem with getting confused on it too, which made me dislike this project as well. However i also agree with you about the creation aspect of the project, that was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you share the resources that you used to help develop your presentation. I also enjoyed reading how you felt about the project.

    ReplyDelete